The impressive Role of our Gut and how we can look after it
Did you know..
- Our gut comprises of over 75% of our immune system?
- There are around 100 trillion bacteria residing in your gut – that’s more than 10 times the number of cells you have in your entire body!
- The intestinal immune system produces more antibodies than the rest of the body put together.
That’s pretty amazing isn’t it?
The delicate balance of gut bacteria, called microflora are an integral part of your overall health and wellbeing. They go about their business of keeping you well by:
• extracting nutrients from your food
• producing vitamins and brain chemicals
• regulating metabolism
• assisting bowel regularity
• killing potentially dangerous organisms in the intestine and reducing the risk of infection
• suppressing excessive inflammation
Our gut is often referred to as our “second brain”. The gut wall has its own independent nervous system and a high tech network of 100 million neurons which transmit messages via nerve impulses. It is home for more than 20 identified hormones which influence the function of your brain neurons and regulate mental processes such as learning, memory and even mood. In fact your gut manufactures about 95% of your body’s supply of serotonin (your happy hormone), a neurochemical that affects mood, sleep and gastrointestinal activity.
A healthy ratio of good to bad bacteria is about 9/1 however lifestyle and
environmental factors can throw the ratio way out of whack. This unbalance can alter your response to stress and your behaviours and can lead to lethargy, mood disorders, allergic disorders, asthma and a compromised immunity. It has also been linked to chronic diseases ranging from autism and depression to autoimmune conditions like Hashimoto’s, inflammatory bowel disease cancer, cardiovascular disease. Recent research has shown that the health of the gut in general also plays a significant role in both obesity (overweight people have lower levels of beneficial bacteria and/or higher amount of specific bacteria than do slender people) and diabetes.
Gas or bloating can be one of the first signs of a microbiome that’s gone off the rails.
Lifestyle and environmental factors that:
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Chlorine in tap water
- Processed foods especially laden with preservatives and artificial Ingredients
- Conventionally farmed Meat, Poultry, Dairy Products, and Eggs – The majority of them contain antibiotics and hormones, and the animals were likely raised on genetically modified corn or soy feed, none of which support the health of your microbiome.
- Non organic Grains – read more here
- Medications such as acid blockers and anti inflammatories, Proton Pump Inhibitors
- Pesticides especially glysophates (round up) .. read more here
will assist your good Bacteria
- Water Filter to reduce chlorine intake (which kills gut bacteria)
- Fermented foods such as sauerkraut and kimchee (Korean fermented vegetables), Kombucha or kefir (fermented milk) contain natural bacteria that protect your microbiome
- Prebiotics are foods that contain the fibre which the good bacteria feed on. These include garlic, onions, radishes, leeks, fennel, asparagus, and Jerusalem artichokes. I also like to use this tasteless fibre powder Fibergy which includes prebiotic inulin and psyllium. I especially like to add to my delicious healthy banana pancakes, smoothies and shakes.
- Sleep – Your gut, body and brain need rest to repair and refresh themselves, aim for 7-8 hours
- Probiotics – friendly bacteria that can replenish your own microbiome. Taking a probiotic is especially important if you are taking antibiotics. Additionally, probiotics promote the function of the intestinal inner lining, enhancing its ability to act as a barrier to the entry of potentially dangerous organisms and chemicals.
Probiotic therapy has been used to prevent or treat lactose intolerance, intestinal infections and diarrhoea, gastritis and ulcers caused by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori, colitis caused by excessive antibiotic use, inflammatory bowel diseases, and irritable bowel syndrome.
Bifidobacteria are one of the most popular and best-studied probiotic organisms. The bifidobacteria are a large group of normal intestinal organisms with a host of overlapping benefits.
One challenge to the development of effective probiotic supplements has been to keep cultures of the organism stable, and to deliver them alive to the colon after surviving the extreme conditions of the stomach and small intestine.
I love this Probiotic brand because it conveniently comes in a stick pack that does not require refrigeration. It contains a clinically proven dose of 12 billion bacteria via a unique 50/50 mixture of Bifidobacterium, BB-12® and Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, GG®. These two strains have been clinically proven to survive the acidic environment of the stomach en-route to the intestines.
My 10 Day Cleanse includes a meal plan full of delicious nourishing food, with shopping list, recipes, several personal consults to discuss your individual health condition and goals, daily emails with plenty of info and lots of extra support and motivation via FB, plus a supplement package (including Probiotics Plus and Fibergy) to really enhance your results and support your body. Find out more >>here<<
Would like to receive fortnightly recipes & tips like these straight to your inbox? Subscribe >>HERE<<
Can I help you in some other way?
FREE 5 Day Quit Sugar Support Program to help you get started on a healthier you
My 10 Day Cleanse is a great way to nourish your body, rejuvenate your gut, liver, reset your blood sugar & hormones, kick start your weight loss. With yummy, healthy, gut nourishing foods and a supplement package which includes, probiotics to replenish your good bacteria, fibre (absorbs toxins, feeds your good gut bacteria) along with high quality anti oxidants, multi minerals, herbs & phytonutrients to enhance the detox process & support your body.
Get your bodies ready to create your super baby. Includes 10 Day Cleanse and continued support specific to optimal preconception health for mum and dad to be
If you are having trouble losing or maintaining weight I have a FREE, Private Facebook Weight Loss Support Group
For more FREE Overall Holistic Health info my Fiorente Health Facebook Page, lots of quick health tips and recipes and motivational quotes
If you would like to catch up in person you can make an appointment for a FREE initial consult
I’m looking forward to getting to know each other better
- Products/ probiotic Plus, www.usana.com
- The overlooked role of probiotics, http://zdanisusanapowerteam.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/the-overlooked-role-of-probiotics-in.html by Joyce Killian
- 17 Ways to Protect Your Microbiome and Keep Your Belly Blissful, http://www.drfranklipman.com/
- How are your brain and gut connected? and GI Restoration, The Health Sciences Acadamy.org by Alex Ruani