There is nothing like a nice warm bowl of oats in the winter but summertime is a great time to try overnight oats. These are also great for a “take it with you” breakfast.
This is a great gut/brain food breakfast: Your gut microbes love to eat the fibre in the fruit, oats, seeds, and nuts. Meanwhile, your brain loves the omega-3 fats in the seeds and nuts, and added protein sets you up for a perfect day.
Oats are: low GI, gluten free (they officially have a type of gluten but it is rarely a problem like regular gluten), hgh in fibre and beta-glucan, provide manganese, selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and various antioxidants. They are a great breakfast food as they will sustain your energy, keep you full longer as well as help to cleanse your digestive system and supporting healthy cholesterol levels. Please choose “organic oats only” read more here
The basic recipe is to:
- Mix together equal parts organic oats to nut, coconut milk (or milk if you prefer) in storage jar
- You can you can add/mix in desired fruit throughout (as blueberry recipe below) with spices, vanilla, cacao, coconut, nuts, seeds etc (add extra liquid for chia and flax seeds) or add these in morning
- If doing single takeaway serves, spoon into 2 Maison 2 jars, you can layer (as photo below) fruit, nuts, spice and seeds throughout. Let set in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, scoop out your portion, add your favourite fruit, nuts, seeds, coconut etc and enjoy! or grab your jar as you are racing out the door.
Nice combinations are:
- apples, walnuts and cinnamon
- bananas and pecans, walnuts
- bananas and cacao
- bananas and nut butter
- stone fruit and pecans, walnuts
- berries, mint and macadamias
- coconut and mango
Tips for a Super Gut loving and Energy Sustaining Breakfast:
Because protein is such an important macronutrient, especially in the morning, I like to add a scoop of protein and even a scoop of Fibergy (for more food for your gut bacteria). When serving, along with nuts and seeds, I like to sprinkle my probiotic (which tastes yummy btw) on top.
Blueberry, chia seed overnight oats
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup organic rolled or steel cut oats (gluten-free)
- 1 cup nut or coconut milk (or milk if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons good quality protein
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or your favourite nuts and seeds
- Blend oats, milk, chia seeds, protein and blueberries (save some the stir in whole) until just mixed or your desired consistency (I like chunky)
- place in 2 maison jars and put in fridge overnight
- Serve with fruit, nuts and seeds