Maroccan Spiced Carrot Soup
Well it’s 28 days into Autumn and although I am trying hard to stay in denial, it is certainly feeling like this year’s mild simmer has come and gone already.
Lauren has already got a cold, we can usually reduce the symptoms and length with my Proflavanol (grape seed extract), Poly C and Proglucamine (zinc and mushroom). I can count on one hand how many colds I have had in the past 10 years and I vouch wholeheartedly my Usana has strengthened my immune system for fighting off colds and flu.
I was only thinking this morning as I contemplated what lunch I would be having later on, that I would be off my yummy salads soon. Mid morning had me thinking about soup – too late to start chicken soup but I saw some organic carrots and celery in the crisper and it was decided.I love to sneak turmeric into everything I can these days so I rearranged my old favourite carrot & basil soup and came up with this.
You could also use toasted turkish bread as an accompaniment.
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 6 organic carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoons ground turmeric *
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch allspice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or 2 chilies (or both!!!)
- 1/2 – 1 litre chicken or vegie stock
- 1/2 cup natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa (optional)
- 1 tin organic chickpeas (optional)
I did the whole soup in the Thermamix but easy in saucepan too
- sauté onion, celery, garlic and carrot in butter for 5 minutes
- add spices and mix through
- add stock and cook for about 20 minutes until carrot is soft
- if using quinoa or chickpeas add and simmer until cooked (quinoa will go from a hard little ball to a softish halo)
- serve with a big dollop of yoghurt stirred through
- add another dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle with coriander