4 non pharmaceutical ways to improve your Cholesterol
In my last post I covered Cholesterol and went through some myths surrounding it.
Diet can play an important role in improving your cholesterol levels. Different foods improve cholesterol in various ways, here are the 3 main ways:
Soluble fibre can reduce the absorption of cholesterol into your bloodstream by binding cholesterol and its precursors in the digestive system, dragging them out of the body before they get into circulation. Soluble fibre is found in foods such as:
- Whole grains such as oats and barley
- Vegetables such as beans (green, navy and kidney beans to lentils, garbanzos, black-eyed peas), eggplant,
- Fruit rich in pectin (a type of soluble fibre) such as prunes, apples, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits.
Recent research suggests that over 50% of Australian adults do not consume the recommended 25-30 grams of fibre a day
- Fibre supplements can help top up your fibre intake. I add 1 Tbs Fibergy to my morning smoothie/shake which gives me a whopping 12g done and dusted!
#2 Sterols and Stanols
Phyto (or plant) sterols and stanols can decrease cholesterol levels by interfering with its absorption. The richest sources of naturally-occurring phytosterols are found in
- minimally processed whole grains such as wheat germ, wheat bran,
- nuts such as peanut and almonds,
- seeds and legumes,
- non-hydrogenated vegetable oils,
- breads and cereals
- vegetables such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower
- Unsaturated fats that help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and raise HDL (good) cholesterol. Nuts such as walnuts, almonds and other tree nuts contain unsaturated fats and have additional nutrients that protect the heart in other ways.
- Avocados are a potent source of nutrients as well as monounsaturated fatty acids. According to a recent study,adding an avocado a day to a heart-healthy diet can help improve LDL levels in people who are overweight or obese.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, although they don’t directly affect LDL levels, they have other heart benefits: reduce blood pressure and risk of developing blood clots, reduce triglycerides in the bloodstream and also protect the heart by helping prevent the onset of abnormal heart rhythms. In people who have already had heart attacks, fish oil, or omega-3 fatty acids, may reduce the risk of sudden death.
Coupling a healthy diet with exercise produces better results than diet alone. Exercise can raise the HDL levels. Doing 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity (working hard enough to raise your heart rate and break a sweat) on most days can improve your cholesterol levels.
Would like to receive fortnightly recipes & tips like these straight to your inbox? Subscribe >>HERE<<
Can I help you in some way?
I can coach you one on one or have a range of personally created affordable Programs. Below are just a few, you can check out all the Programs here
FREE 5 Day Quit Sugar Support Program to help you get started on a healthier you
My 10 Day Cleanse is a great way to nourish your body, rejuvenate your gut, liver, reset your blood sugar & hormones, kick start your weight loss. With yummy, healthy, gut nourishing foods and a supplement package which includes, probiotics to replenish your good bacteria, fibre (absorbs toxins, feeds your good gut bacteria) along with high quality anti oxidants, multi minerals, herbs & phytonutrients to enhance the detox process & support your body.
Get your bodies ready to create your super baby. Includes 10 Day Cleanse and continued support specific to optimal preconception health for mum and dad to be
If you are having trouble losing or maintaining weight I have a FREE, Private Facebook Weight Loss Support Group
For more FREE Overall Holistic Health info my Fiorente Health Facebook Page, lots of quick health tips and recipes and motivational quotes
If you would like to catch up in person you can make an appointment for a FREE initial consult
I’m looking forward to getting to know each other better